Thursday 15 February 2018

End of Season Interview with Michael Sillwood - Gun Room Manager

As the season has now finished we thought it would be interesting to hear a few of the thoughts and reflections from our trusty Gun Room Manager at LGS and his experiences out loading in the field over the last few months.
Michael has worked for LGS for the past 4 years and has been a huge part of the company's development, providing a wealth of knowledge of all things shooting.

Michael sits elegantly in a crisp Hugo Boss suit outside a boutique Chelsea cafe. He sips on a steaming espresso with an amaretti biscuit on the side. The winter sun scatters haphazard shadows on the cobbled ground and Michael sits with sunglasses poised in his right hand. The gentle lounge music from the cafe drifts outside and dances on the air in a haze of cigarette smoke; like a smoke machine setting the scene for Michael to take the stage - the sunlight being his spotlight. His expression is reflective and philosophical as we begin the interview...


What has been the most memorable part of the season for you?

My most memorable experience this season has to be loading for a client at Gunnerside in North Yorkshire, I have never seen coveys of grouse like that! I was also lucky enough to load for a client at La Nava in Spain which has stunning scenery and good quality partridge shooting! Even though it snowed on the second day we were not phased!


What has been the most challenging part of the season for you?

I would have to say that it was adapting to each of my clients needs and shooting styles, each client is different and when one is out in the field a lot it is important to think quickly.


How does this season compare to last season?

This was my second year of loading so this season I feel like I had a better basis of experience in comparison to last year. I am grateful that working for LGS has taken me to some of the best shoots in the UK! The pace of growth in the business is outstanding and this season has definitely seen a vast expansion in the development and establishment of the company.


Where has been the most beautiful place you have visited this season?

The most beautiful estate has to be Ben Alder in Scotland - the scenery was amazing with grouse to match it! It was definitely one for the experienced shooter.

When out in the field a lot, do you have any survival tips for other loaders?

I would have to say it is cartridges; I always take double the amount of cartridges I expect to be used as there would be nothing worse than getting caught short. I always carry spare batteries for ear defenders and plasters for the occasions where the trigger guard catches but most importantly a selection of biscuits and water for energy levels!

What is your favourite item of shooting clothing that you own?

My favourite item is not necessarily clothing but my new Cens Digital In Ear ear defenders, they are fantastic and I would highly recommend them!

Do you have any hopes or plans for next season?

I am looking forward to field testing the new Frederick Beesley over and under shotguns which are currently being made ready for next season. I also hope that I will continue to provide our service to new and existing customers at LGS and out in the field as we are already receiving bookings for the 2018 shooting season!


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of Season Interview with Michael Sillwood - Gun Room Manager

As the season has now finished we thought it would be interesting to hear a few of the thoughts and reflections from our trusty Gun Room Man...